The cost to have recessed lighting professionally installed typically ranges between $350-$700 for an average bedroom. That’s a wide range, but it’s not because the fixtures range in price that much. It’s actually the conditions surrounding the specific room where they will be installed that will determine the ease or complexity (and subsequent cost) of the installation.
The following conditions will most likely be factors in how much it will cost to install recessed lighting in a room:
- Ceiling height
- Attic access above or not
- Existing ceiling wiring or not
- Existing wall switch or not
- Existing lighting – what to do with it
- Existing wiring type – Romex, flex, MC, rigid pipe
- Ceiling fire-rating requirements (if any)
- Wall and ceiling type – drywall, plaster, wood, other
- Wall and ceiling repairs that will be needed afterwords
Paint touch-up may be needed following the installation of new lighting, so you should account for that in your budget. If rooms have existing lighting that will be removed, those areas will need to be patched and painted at the least.